Who are The Rolling Stones?
The Rolling Stones are an English rock band formed in London in 1962 and were at the forefront of what came to be called “The British Invasion”, English bands that came to popularity in the United States in 1964 and beyond. The band celebrated its golden jubilee (50 years) at London’s O2 Arena on November 25th, 2012.
The band was noticeably influenced in their early years by American Blues music that they crafted into rock songs that met with huge commercial success over the years.
Having been around so long and through some turbulent time periods, the story of The Rolling Stones is an intriguing one. Learn more here.
Origin of the famous Rolling Stones Logo
In 1969 Mick Jagger went to London’s Royal College of Art searching for a student to create some visual assets for the Rolling Stones next album. Jagger liked work done by 24-year-old John Pasche, who was paid £50 (around 77 US Dollars at the time, about $540 2021 dollars) to draw up a logo.
The logo became known as “Hot Lips” but was also referred to as “rolling stones lips” and “rolling stones tongue logo”, debuted on 1971’s Sticky Fingers LP (on the inner sleeve) and became an enduring logo that was never retired by the band in 50+ years.
Band-tees.com the Rolling Stones Merchandise & T-shirt Facts
A shirt celebrating half a century of the bands’ existence. After 50 years performing as The Rolling Stones, the band announced that their first celebratory shows would be at the O2 Arena in London on 25 & 29 November 2012. Known as the “50 & Counting Tour” it included two secret club gigs in Paris and visited venues in the US and the UK.
This shirt commemorates a concert at Deutschlandhalle, Berlin, Germany. Over the years, the hall played host venue to the Stones as well as many music greats like Abba, David Bowie, Queen, and Jimi Hendrix to name a few.
Little known facts about Deutschlandhalle: Inaugurated on 29 November 1935 by Adolph Hitler as a prestige project for the 1936 Summer Olympics, the hall was heavily damaged by Allied air raids in 1943 and was rebuilt after World War II. The hall served as a multi-purpose arena until 2009 when it was shut down by the German government and its demolition occurred on 3 December 2011. Learn more here.